Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Stuck in the Blogosphere

At my internship, looking for blogs that could be useful in promotion for the magazine, I found this one:

"The Only Thing I'm Going to Say About 9/11

Sep. 12th, 2006 at 10:31 AM

Is about art.

Julian Laverdier's Towers of Light was hailed by a lot of people as a gorgeous memorial, ethereal, and beautiful.

I went to school with him. He was a graduate student at Yale when I was undergrad. He is very intereested in historical monutments and architecture -- in particular the architects of the fascists.

He said in an interview in Art in America, that the Towers were inspired by Albrecht Speer, aka "Hitler's Architect", and a project he did for the 3rd Reich, a gathering space where rallys were held. He sought to create a "Cathedral of Light", it was the site of the 1936 Neuremberg Rally.

When I consider how our government has co-opted the tradgedy of what happened 5 years ago, when I consider the moves that our government has made - secret torture chambers, prisons, oil wars, and the fact that the trains are running on time -- I think about Julian and his Towers.

I think about them, and I think they memorialize something else: Not the tradgedy that happened in 2001 -- but the one that is happening now."

The blog, Welcome to Spazzville, is at nex0s.livejournal.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home